Monday, July 28, 2008

Panama Update #14

Panama Update #14
July 27, 2008


These are some things I have noticed so far after being here a little over 2 weeks:

1. I am spending more time alone and talking less since I don’t know as many people here. I am also writing more, which I have enjoyed.
2. I am spending more time inside than a summer in Minnesota since it is so hot, humid, and rainy. It is similar to a winter in Minnesota, but not quite that much time inside.
3. I have the attitude that this is my home now, rather than feeling I am away from home all the time. This has helped me be open and appreciative to what is here.
4. I like walking up and down the hill that we live on and feel it is keeping me in good or even better shape. I have only been biking once here, but don’t miss it like I thought I might.
5. I am happy that I am already giving 3 yoga classes a week and some biofeedback sessions. I am curious to how else my life will fill out here, so each week brings some surprises. Sometimes I wonder if it is better to accept one of the full-time teaching jobs I have been offered, but I do not want to close myself to other projects I am working on, so we will see what happens.
6. I actually am getting used to the hot and humid weather and learning to like it (as long as there is AC inside).
7. I like taking taxis around and not having to drive.
8. I do not like having to jump in a taxi to do almost any kind of shopping. I am used to being able to walk, bus, or bike from the convenient location where we lived in Minneapolis.
9. I have been pretty patient and not gotten too upset at the sometimes frustrating process of learning to live in a new place. It reminds me of when I lived in an Ashram in India for 3 months and slowly got used to the culture and expanded out more over time.
10. The food has generally been fine and it is easy to find vegetarian, although I am eating more processed food and less organic than I did in Minneapolis.