Saturday, November 15, 2008

Panama Update #85

Panama Update #85
November 15, 2008

Yesterday I spent the morning shopping for small things that we need for the apartment and some personal items. I found a new wallet for $.99, sandals to wear around the apartment for $3.99, a large waterproof backpack for $9.99, a clock for $3.99, and a new cell phone for $16.99. The cell phone seems much better than my previous one and as far as the quality of the other items, time will tell. I also got a hair catcher for the shower drain. I didn't come prepared to the store for the Spanish words for that, so that is when you really get to practice your pantomime skills. When I returned home after the shopping, I found that all the furniture that our landlord promised us had been brought here. There is a new couch, love seat, and easy chair, which makes a nice living room. The air conditioner in the 2nd bedroom is also being installed today as I am writing this, and the new washer and drier are here and will be connected soon. So far we are receiving very good service here, with everything being installed that was promised to us. The owner said he is also going to install security bars in the windows over the next couple of weeks. Most of the houses in Panama have these, but in this neighborhood they are just starting to put them in some of the houses.

While I was walking near the apartment yesterday afternoon I noticed an Iguana (about 3 feet long including the tail) that was trying to get under a wire fence. It is the first time I have seen one here, but people say that it is fairly common to see them. As I was watching, it got caught in the fence hole. Half of its body got through, but it couldn't fit its back legs through the hole. It couldn't back out either, so it was stuck. I walked back to the apartment and got a couple of the workers here, and they came with me. I showed them the spot and the Iguana was still stuck there. One of them held the back legs and tail and the other undid the loop in the fence. There was a cut on the Iguana's back, but they said it would be fine. When it was free it scurried away and was very quickly out of site. When they move, they are really quick and I am sure it was relieved to be free, at whatever level they have feelings.

Aside from those things, we went out last night with another couple who we have met through Nikki's work. They took us to a bonfire in one of the outlying areas where they were celebrating the arrival of a group of indigenous people from North and South America who had run for many miles to meet there. They call the event "The Eagle meets the Condor," and as best as I can see their goal is to bring awareness to the need to clean and take care of the planet. After that they took us to a club in downtown Panama to hear some contemporary Panamanian folk music that we all liked. Everything goes late here, so we go home about 1:00 AM, which is very late for us. We have enjoyed meeting some new friends here in Panama.