Sunday, August 3, 2008

Panama Update #20

Panama Update #20
August 3, 2008

This morning I discovered how easy it is to listen to the local Minneapolis radio stations on the internet. I was able to tune into all my favorite stations, so as I am working on the computer I can also listen to news and sports in Minneapolis. The computer is my most used and valued equipment here. I am using the laptop more than I ever have with all the emails and writing, along with the Biofeedback sessions. In addition to reading the local and Minneapolis papers on- line I also plan to watch the 2008 Olympics that start next Friday (5 days) since we don't have a TV.

After listening to the Minneapolis sports shows all morning, I went to the Casco Viejo with some other people from the dorm in the afternoon. It is an area of older Panama that has a great view and many historic buildings. It also has the Teatro Nacional where Nikki and I would like to see a play sometime. Nikki and I went there a couple of weeks ago but I decided to accept the invitation to go again today since I thought it would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours. There is a great view from the Pacific shoreline of the downtown skyline. A lot of other tourists were also there taking pictures of all the historic buildings. The area is being renovated for condos because it is very beautiful there and the older buildings look great after renovation. It looks like they have a long way to go though since there are still a lot of buildings that look rundown. The group of us started to walk down there from the dorm but after a few blocks, a police officer stopped us and suggested we get in a taxi because it is not a great neighborhood to walk in. Until we figure out the neighborhoods here better, we are taking taxis to all the shopping and tourist places. In this way it is much different lifestyle than we are used to.

We got back from there by 2:00 PM so I took another taxi to the MultiCentro Mall that I went to on Friday. I decided to see the only movie in English (with Spanish subtitles) at that time- Hancock. I had already heard it was not great so I was not disappointed, but I stayed through the whole movie since it is good practice for learning Spanish. Since I was at the Mall anyway, I picked up a few odds and ends of groceries and a Sunday paper. El periodico is in Spanish and called La Prensa. Trying to read it is great practice for Spanish, plus it is a good way to check for apartments and jobs. All the English speaking schools seem to advertise in it and I found a couple more to send my Resume to, so we will see what the next week brings. If I were in Minneapolis, I would still be on summer vacation. I am just now feeling like I am on vacation since it has been so busy the last few months with preparing for and then making the move here.