Sunday, December 21, 2008

Panama Update #103

Panama Update #103
December 21, 2008

We arrived in Spokane, WA today from Oakland on SW air at about 11:30 AM. Our flight was only delayed for only about 10 minutes even with all the weather problems in the area. The people going to Portland were not so lucky. While we were waiting to board our flight we heard that the airport in Portland, OR was closed for the day because of an ice storm. They announced that all people at the airport who had a flight to Portland should go home and try again tomorrow. We were also slow to leave the plane once we landed in Spokane because a woman got sick in flight and they called any doctors on the plane to help out. They thought she was having a heart attack, but it turned out to be some complications from her blood pressure medication. The paramedics met the plane in Spokane and they took her immediately to the hospital. I found all this out by talking to some family members at the baggage claim. I had met the woman and her family before the flight, while we were waiting in Oakland.

It was a high of about 12F in Spokane today with a windchill of 0F. Earlier in the week they had 3 feet of snow on one day and the airport was closed here 2 days ago. We are scheduled to leave for LA on Wednesday so hopefully that will work out with all the weather problems. The contrast to Panama weather and the winter weather here is amazing. I haven't had culture shock yet on this trip to the states, but moving into deep winter weather is bringing me there. I have my silk long underwear with me and some heavier clothes, so I have been warm so far. Nikki's mom lives in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho which is about 50 miles from Spokane.

I have traveled to so many cities and different weather conditions in the last couple of months (in addition to all the places in Panama) that my head is spinning trying to get used to the idea of Miami, Houston,Austin, San Francisco, Coeur d'Alene, and still Oakland and LA yet to come on this leg. I know many people have this type of travel lifestyle, but for me it has been about 10 years since I have run around so much.