Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Panama Update #57

Panama Update #57
October 1, 2008

I had an appointment this morning at the home of the family that home schools their 6 children. It was raining heavily at the time that I was getting ready to leave so I called the family and told them I would be late. I have learned that it is very difficult to find a taxi in the rain and the woman understood. They are looking for someone to help the 3 younger kids (ages 6, 7, 9) with their home school internet curriculum. I arrived with an umbrella in hand and felt like the nanny in Sound of Music. They live in a beautiful house in a nice neighborhood that I had never been before called El Dorado. It is on a hill with a beautiful view of the city. The 3 older kids seem to be able to follow the curriculum on their own and are apparently doing fine. I sat on the shaded deck out in the back of the house with all 6 kids and the two parents. They have a view of the area from their deck with a pool and lawn. Each child introduced themselves and gave their age and what subjects they liked. I wrote down all their names as they talked to help me learn them. I stayed for about an hour and a half and tried to figure out if it is a job I want. At this point, as I've written before, I am interested in working more with adults. It has been long time since I have helped a first grader learn to read. But I also have a feel now for what is available in Panama and will have to decide accordingly. The job I accepted last week at the private school, along with some private tutoring, is probably enough, but I wanted to see what this job was all about.

Since we are leaving the country tomorrow for several days, I told them I would get back to them after I returned.