Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Panama Update #71

Panama Update #71
October 22, 2008

Today was another holiday so I did not go into the school again. Nikki invited a friend over for lunch and served "make your own tacos." I had a chance to catch up on some Spanish study and other reading. While in Houston I found a book at the Half Price Bookstore called El Libro de la Nada by Osho. It is about Zen philosophy, translated to Spanish. As I try to read through it I have a Spanish dictionary next to me where I can look up the words I don't know and just try to get the general idea of what they are saying. I can now see why people use those electronic translators that they sell in Target. It is much quicker to translate words from one language to the other. Maybe I'll pick one up when we go to the states in December. The other book I am reading is called Brave Companions by David McCullough. He wrote The Path Between the Seas that I just finished about the building of the Panama Canal. Brave Companions is a series of essays on people throughout history who did great things. So far I have read about Humboldt, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Roosevelt, and Remington. It is a pretty inspirational book.