Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Panama Update #112

Panama Update #112
January 6, 2009

I have another week of vacation left until school begins next week. So far I have been keeping busy by catching up on some shopping, errands, studying Spanish, writing, and reading. We have cable TV but I have been able to avoid spending too much time watching that. Having wireless internet in our apartment allows me and Nikki to do a lot of work from home. Today I found a bicycle shop that sells many parts. It was difficult to find, but someone gave me the name and it had the parts I needed- a new cale and pedal crank. A guy who is the friend of the owner of the building where we live has a truck and he drove me to the bike shop, helped me find the right parts, and also drove me around for some other shopping. He is not a taxi driver but does errands like that with his truck for his job. He is also a bike mechanic so he helped me fix the problem.

On Sunday AM Nikki joined me for a long bike ride on the Causeway and I did the ride again this morning. It is hot, but if you get out early it is not too bad. We have found a little Chinese restaurant hidden away in the large fruit market near us and have eaten there a couple of times this week for lunch. One of the dishes they serve is homemade rice noodles with tofu and vegetables.

Tomorrow we both have a dental teeth cleaning appointment. The dentist was recommended to us and cleans the teeth himself. It will be our first visit to a dentist since we got here.