Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Panama Update #116

Panama Update #116
Tuesday, January 13

I know there is a cold spell going on up north, but Panama is still the same hot place. We have AC in our bedroom and turn it on at night. It is more comfortable to use when sleeping although a lot of people go without. The unit blows right on me so I don't like to go to bed with wet hair. Now I have started taking showers in the morning instead of the evening right before bed. I returned to work today. Mostly I help out the elementary teachers with math lessons. Today we did a lesson using Geoboards. It is still a big adjustment for me to be we with the younger kids again like I was earlier in my career. It probably would not be my first choice of jobs, but the hours are good and the people are nice and it gives me something to do here besides the usual reading and writing.

I have to admit I am starting to look ahead to how much time we have left in Panama. It is 4 and 1/2 months until June 1, which is the target date for leaving. We don't know where we will go after that, but at least for June and July I am planning to be in Minneapolis. I think it is a big accomplishment for me to have made it this long here(6 and 1/2 months). Nikki seems to be fine with it here. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that is causing me to look ahead to when we are leaving. I think it just comes down to what you are used to culturally and also the stores and of course the people and activities in a place.