Saturday, April 11, 2009

Panama Update #155

Panama Update #155
Saturday, April 11

It is starting to switch back to rainy season here. It has rained 2 or 3 times this week which hasn't happened since last December. The rains are also lasting for longer periods and it is more cloudy. My guess is that it will slowly transition until it is in full bloom by the beginning of May. I came last July, so now I am seeing the full cycle of the two seasons that they have here. The dry season is only about 4 months long.

Panama City is noticeably quieter over this Good Friday/Easter weekend. I guess a lot of the people head out to what they call "the interior" to celebrate, including our landlord and his family. Downtown is quiet and it is easy to get a taxi. I went this morning to one of the El Rey Supermercado and it was very easy shopping. When I am buying things now I am starting to think of if we can use it in the next 7 weeks or not, before we leave.

Nikki went out to the field for a night with Fumi, an archeological graduate student who we have become friends with. She wanted Nikki to take a look at the site where she is working and had some geological questions. They left at 5:00 AM this morning (Saturday) and I was supposed to go with, but I woke up with 3 or 4 giant welts on my feet. It was probably bug bites, but it looked like almost a allergic, hives kind of reaction. I decided it would be best not to go to the isolated area they were going to which was a 5 or 6 hour drive. I put some rubbing alcohol on it and it cleared up in about 2 or 3 hours. My plans today are to watch some of the Masters golf tournament on our cable this afternoon and tonight watch a rebroadcast of American Idol.